Caribbean Travel Service


Value Car Rental: Always Better Value

Best Deals Car Rental: We Do Have Better Cars, Why Pay More?

Good Cars Cheap Prices Car Rental: Our Name Speaks for Itself


St Maarten Scooter Rental


Check out the Beautiful Banana Springs Apartments

Family Run & Owned
La Vista Beach Resort


St Maarten St Martin weddings wedding planner
For the contracting of marriages on the Island Territory of Sint-Maarten, the following procedures are applicable and required (in accordance with the Civil Code at the Netherlands Antilles 1869 and as amended):
  • Birth Certificates of both parties are required (article 120). Persons of foreign nationalities should be 21 years and over in order to contract a marriage without consent of their parents or guardians (such also in accordance to the laws of their respective countries of origin). Persons of the Netherlands nationality should be 23 years and over (article 91).
  • Divorced persons may remarry in Sint-Maarten, but should provide a recent extract of divorce of this current year. Divorced women, can only remarry after 306 days upon inscription into the registry of divorce at the office of Civil State (article 83).
  • A period of 10 (ten) days is required by law in accordance to article 124 of the Civil Code of the Netherlands Antilles to register at the Office of Civil Registry. Persons dearing to get married must first declare before the office of Civil State of their intentions of contracting a marriage. Office hours are Mondays through Fridays from 8.30 am to12.00 noon and from 1.30 pm to 3.30 pm (article 99, 100 101) Publication of marriage banns starts from the Saturday thereafter (article 124).
  • On Tuesdays through Thursdays Marriages can be contracted for the price of Nafls. 90(approx, $51); on Fridays for Nafls. 120 (approx. $67); and on Saturdays for the price of Nafls 270 (approx. $152). Price includes the marriage book. (These prices are in effect as of October 1, 1994, in accordance with No. 11 Stamps ordinance 1994).
  • To contract a marriage on the Island, one of the parties concerned must be an inscribed Residence at the Census Office. Two witnesses are also required to be present at the marriage ceremony and must also be inscribed residents at one of the Census Office of the Netherlands Antilles (articles 125 and 126). To become a resident of the Netherlands Antilles one must first have a valid residence permit and/or a permit granted by the Government Authorities, of which must be handled by the Immigration Department in question (P.B. 1986 No. 96).
  • Foreign persons wishing to get married in St. Maarten and who are not inscribed as a resident can request permission from the Lt. Governor of the Island Territory of St. Maarten. If permission is granted a temporary tourist permit will be issued in order to contract a marriage. A written request must be submitted to the attention of the Lt. Governor; this can be send to:

    Lt. Governor Franklyn Richards
    Government Administration Building Clem Square
    P.O. Box 943
    Philipsbourg, St.Maarten
    Netherlands Antilles

    You may also fax the Lt. Governor at 011-59954-24884. Please allow at least 2 months for a Reply, and note that you need to be on the Island at least two days before the wedding date.
  • Registration at the office of Civil Registry needs to take place at least ten days before the marriage. This can be done by faxing their office at 011-59954- 21267. Please send the Fax to the attention of Mr. Alberto Mathew, Chief Registrar. The following documents are needed in order to register:

  • Copy of approval letter from Lt. Governor (temporary tourist permit)
  • Birth certificates of both parties
  • Copy of Civil Status (In case of Divorce Certificates is needed).
  • The office of Civil Registry is located at:
    Sualiouga Rd. #6, Philipsbourg, St. Maarten; Phone: 011-59954-22457; Fax: 011-59954-24567
  • Please note that all documents must be translated into the Dutch language by an official sworn translator and/ or by a Notary Public with their signature, stamps and seal.
  • The following person can do translation on Island:
    Ms. Cheryl LaBega- Language translator - Government Administration Building
    Clern Square
    Philipsbourg, St. Maarten.
  • Please note that one to weeks is needed to translate the documents.
  • The Office of the Civil State performs the marriages after all documents are found to be correct, after which if requested by parties, a clergyman can perform the wedding ceremony at the Wedding Hall situated at Sualiouga Rd. # 4, Pondfill, Philipsbourg.
  • Other required documents are:- A valid return ticket, or to travel elsewhere outside the Netherlands Antilles, required documents for returning to the country of origin, or for further travel elsewhere; Sufficient means to be able to support your stay in St.Maarten.

<-- Contact St Maarten Wedding Planners -->





Click here to post your questions on our forum and we will respond!

Read other questions and answers.


© Carib Travel Service